How to import a list of time entries from a CSV file
You can add a numerous number of entries in a few steps without having to enter every time entry one by one manually on the system by using the importing feature. You can import the “Project Name”, “Activity”, “Time Value”, “Date” and “Description”.
To start importing a list of time entries follow these steps:
- Only CSV files / Text files (Comma Separated, Tab Delimited, Column separated can be imported).
- If you have any other file type you will need to open using an intermediate application, such as “Microsoft Excel” and save as CSV and import it into the system.
- You can use the import feature to quickly add your data in a spreadsheet and import into the system, And here we explain how to import the data using Microsoft Excel software.
- Open the Excel program
- At the first row add the fields “Project Name”, “Activity”, “Time Value”, “Date” and “Description”.
- Below every field fill out all the details as showing in this figure.
- The “Time” Field must be added in one of these two ways:
- 2.5 which means two and a half hours.
- 2:30 which also means 2 and a half hours.
- The “Date” field must be formatted as your system’s date format, so in that case, we can use the DD/MM/YYYY format.
- After you add all your items save the excel file as CSV (“Comma delimited”)
- Log into your online invoices account.
- Through the “Time Tracking” menu select “Time Tracking”.
The importing wizard will start.
Step 1 (Import Options):
- Click the “Next Step” button.
- Click “Import First Row” check box. If your file contains the same field labels existing at the first row so in this case, we will not tick the checkbox.
- Through the “Delimiters” section select “Comma Separated” option.
- Determine the file that will be imported (the CSV file we previously saved.
Step 2 (Fields Mapping):
- We will map the fields (Columns) on the imported file to the corresponding fields on the system.
- Select a corresponding field in the file for each system field as showing in the above figure.
- If you entered a new “Project” or “Activity” it will be saved on the system.
- Click the “Import” button.
Step 3 Importing:
- The system will take a few seconds to import the fields and save them.
- Refer back to the “Time Tracking” page to check the imported time entries lists.